In 1927, after the state park appropriation bill had passed, the Central New York state parks commission embarked upon its effort to create Green Lakes State Park. The commission's first task was to acquire 725 acres of privately-held land surrounding Green and Round Lakes. This process proved to be quite difficult. Some of the owners resisted selling their family estates, while others, aware of the state's intentions, negotiated for extremely high prices. In the end, the state paid $75,000 for five of the seven parcels, and aquired the other two by contract.
The commission employed Professor Laurie D. Cox of Syracuse University as their landscape advisor. Cox created plans for the park and many of its buildings, including the Administration Building, seen above during its construction. He went on to do major design work for four other parks in the CNY region.
For more images of the Administration building and its construction, click on one of the links below.